The Alliance for Multicultural Community Services (AMCS) is a 501 c (3) tax exempt organization incorporated in 1986 as a Texas non-profit corporation. AMCS formally Refugee Service Alliance (RSA) was originally established as an alliance of Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, and Ethiopian community organizations in Harris County. The Alliance was created to enhance the capabilities of the member organizations in accessing services and resources for their communities. Since 1986, The Alliance has grown to serve individuals of all nationalities.
- July 1985: Founded by the Association of Cambodian, Ethiopian, Laotian and Vietnamese Refugee Community Organizations.
- January 1986: Incorporated as a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation under the name of Refugee Services Alliance.
- January 1986: Began to offer adjustment counseling services to refugees in Harris County.
- October 1986: Began offering employment & self-sufficiency services.
- October 1991: Alliance became a Resettlement Agency affiliated with ECDC (Ethiopian Community Development Council) which has a cooperative agreement with the Department of State and the Office of Refugee Resettlement.
- April 1999: The agency changed its name from Refugee Services Alliance (RSA) to Alliance for Multicultural Community Services (AMCS).
- April 2004: The Alliance bought its own building to house the agency.
- November 2004: The Alliance for Multicultural Community Services is ranked among the top 25 charitable non-profits organizations in the Greater Houston area by the Houston Business Journal.
- September 2009: Became the largest resettlement agency in Texas.